Monday, February 8, 2010

Budgets: Sad face or Happy face???

Here, I am. Middle of February and just realizing a didn't pick my habit for the month. I can actually say that Jan. must have made me more healthy than before. I have nothing to show for that. But all that Vitamin C and Omega 3's had to be doing something, right? If nothing else, I've developed habit #1.

February's goal has grown out of Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University". Matt and I decided to start the 10 week (or is it 13 weeks?)trek through the how to's of budgets, saving, debt, etc..

Assignment #1: Draw up a budget. Right, we do that at the beginning of every month. The problem is following it. So many restrictions. Do I buy the cute pot for my table center piece? Do I get my hair done this week or next? Share a meal or buy an appetizer? Living for future financial freedom without giving up the freedom of today? It'a fine line. Matt and I have decided to put money aside for "spontaneity". That's right. An envelope labeled "spontaneity". Planned...spontaneity. What a concept! That's like saying I'm spontaneously taking a trip next Friday at noon.

February Habit: No fudging on the budget...unless it's spontaneous.

1 comment: